West Virginia State Regulations
The following holidays are restricted: Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Event Restrictions-No Overdimensional travel between sunrise of the first date until sunset of the last date.
- West Virginia University football games-No travel in Monongalia, Marion, Harrison and Preston Counties on the day of home games.
- Pioneer Days Festival-No travel in Marlinton (Pocahontas County)
- State Fair-No travel on US219 from I64 to Ronceverte (Greenbrier County)
- Treasure Mountain Festival-No travel in Franklin (Pendleton County)
- Forest Festival-No travel in Elkins (Randolph County)
- Bridge Day-No travel on US 19 between US 60 and Oak Hill (Fayette County)
- School Bus Hours-No travel allowed Monday through Friday on two lane highways for escorted vehicles from 7 AM to 9 AM and 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM during the school year.
Charleston Area-No travel allowed for escorted vehicles from 7 AM to 9 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM during daylight savings time. During Eastern Standard Time, travel is allowed only from 9 AM to 4 PM. Charleston area includes I64 between Exit 39 and Exit 85, I77 between Exit 106 and Exit 85, US119 from Ruth to I64, and all other routes within 5 miles of the Charleston City Limits.
Weekend travel, when allowed, is given upon request.
Anything over routine issue dimensions requires special approval from the DOT.
Oversize Load Signs
“Oversize Load” signs required for any load requiring an Escort.
18” red or orange flags required at the four corners of all oversize loads.
Maximum width for a blade or bucket is 12 feet. Blade has to be detached and hauled on a
separate trailer if the gross dozer plus blade weight is over 80,000 pounds.
|Single Axle||20,000 lbs.|
|Tandem Axle||34,000 lbs.|
|Gross Weight||80,000 lbs. | 65,000 lbs on Local Roads|
|Width||8’6″ (8’ Local service routes less than 10’ wide)|
|Length – Semi-Trailers||53′|
|Length||70’ On US and WV Routes | Unlimited on Interstates and National Network Highways|
|Overhang||3’ Front | 6’ Rear|
|Single Axle||28,000 lbs.|
|Tandem Group||45,000 lbs.|
|Tridem Group||50,000 lbs.|
|Quad Group||55,000 lbs.|
|Gross Weight||120,000 lbs.|
|Height||No Set Maximum*|
|Length||No Set Maximum*|
|Overhang||15′ Front | 30′ Rear|
*Dependent on load clearance of route to be taken.
|Width 10’6”-12’||1 Front On 2-Lane Highways|
|Width 12’1”-14’||1 Rear On 4-Lane Highways | 2 (Front & Rear) On 2-Lane Highways|
|Width 14’1”-15’||2 (Front & Rear)|
|Width 15’1”-16’||3 (2 Front, 1 Rear) On 2-Lane Highways | 3 (1 Front, 2 Rear) On 4-Lane Highways|
|Height Over 15’||1 Front W/ High Pole|
|Length 75’-95’||1 Rear On 2-Lane Highways|
|Length 95’1”-100’||1 Rear On 4-Lane Highways | 2 (Front & Rear) On 2-Lane Highways|
|Length 100’1”||2 (Front & Rear)|
|Overhang Over 10’||1 Front or Rear depending on the overhang|