Temporary Trip (IRP) Permits: An In-Depth Guide

Temporary Trip (IRP) Permits: An In-Depth Guide

If you plan to drive a commercial vehicle such as a truck or a bus outside of your home state and don’t have IRP registration, there’s a good chance you might need a temporary trip permit. This permit gives commercial vehicles the ability to travel to and through states and provinces in which they are not apportioned. These permits are valid typically for predetermined time periods, although some jurisdictions provide single trip permits as well.

What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) refers to an agreement carried out between American states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) and provinces in Canada that relies on registration reciprocity. Simply put, if one state/province lets commercial vehicles from another travel on its roads, the converse holds true as well.

Under the IRP, you pay license fees based on the total distance covered in all applicable jurisdictions. While a vehicle receives just one cab card and license plate, the system ensures that each jurisdiction receives its fair share of fees. This is because the fees they receive depend on how much distance a vehicle travels within their jurisdictions.

According to the IRP program, all intestate carriers need to file applications in the jurisdiction from which they operate. Your base jurisdiction will then issue an apportioned license plate and cab card for each vehicle. These serve as registration credentials that you may use to travel to and within all member states/provinces. While you pay the fees to your base jurisdiction, it is then divided and distributed to the other member jurisdictions where you travel.

What States Require Trip Permits?

If you’re wondering what states require trip permits, know that almost states and provinces across the United States and Canada do. These include:

what states require trip permits

  • Alabama
  • Alberta
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • British Columbia
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Manitoba
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Brunswick
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Ontario
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec
  • Rhode Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

How Temporary Trip (IRP) Permits Work

If you have a commercial vehicle that’s not registered with the International Registration Plan (IRP) and you plan to travel outside of your base jurisdiction, there’s a good chance you’ll need a temporary trip permit. In addition, you’ll need a separate permit for each jurisdiction to or through which you intend to travel.

Depending on the jurisdictions in question, you may apply for a temporary trip permit online or in person. Seeking assistance from Coast 2 Coast Trucking Permits LLC is also an option.

The time period for which a temporary trip permit is valid will vary depending on the issuing authority. Here are a few examples.

Who Needs a Temporary Trip Permit?

Commercial vehicles not registered with the IRP that travel out of their home states need temporary trip permits if any of these conditions apply.

  • The vehicle has three or more axles
  • The vehicle’s registered weight exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • A vehicle and its trailer’s combined weight exceeds 26,000 pounds

Exceptions to these rules include:

  • Arizona. All commercial vehicles with two or more axles require permits, no matter what their weight.
  • California. All commercial vehicles, other than ones used by drivers to haul personal belongings, need trip permits.
  • Nevada. You’ll need a permit if your vehicle weighs more than 10,000 pounds.
  • New Mexico. You’ll need a permit if your vehicle weighs more than 12,000 pounds.

Bear in mind that a few states have additional requirements. For example, if you plan to travel to or through New York, you’ll need to account for Highway Use Tax (HUT) if the weight of your vehicle exceeds 18,000 pounds.

Who Does Not Need a Permit?

You don’t need a temporary trip permit or an interstate permit for commercial vehicles if you’re traveling within your base jurisdiction or if the jurisdiction you’re traveling to finds a mention on your apportioned registration CAB card. In addition, jurisdiction-specific exemptions might apply on:

  • Government-owned vehicles
  • Recreational vehicles
  • Self-propelled vehicles
  • Vehicles hauling farming equipment
  • Bobtail trucks
  • Fire trucks
  • Cranes

The Information You Need to Provide

No matter whether you apply for a temporary trip permit online or in person, or even through a third-party service provider, the information you need to provide remains the same. Most jurisdictions require:

  • The name of your business, its phone number, and its address
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you apply as a business or Social Security Number (SSN) if you apply as an individual
  • S. DOT and Federal ID numbers
  • Year, make, and model of the vehicle
  • The vehicle’s license plate number, its expiration date, and its state of issuance
  • The vehicle’s identification and unit numbers
  • The vehicle’s proof of insurance


Having to deal with the different types of trucking permits might seem daunting, especially if you’re new to the process or need to travel to or through multiple jurisdictions. In addition, bear in mind that if you need a temporary trip permit, and if you don’t have a valid IFTA sticker, you’ll need a temporary IFTA permit as well. As a result, if you’re not comfortable applying for the required permits on your own, or if you’re short on time, you may benefit by using the services Coast 2 Coast Trucking Permits LLC.

Get Started Now
Subscribe to Our Newsletter